Subject: Re: diff-index --cc no longer permitted, gitk is now broken (slightly)

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 07 Sep 2021 11:19:33 -0700

Sergey Organov <[email-masked]> writes:

> Here is a patch that fixes diff-index to accept --cc again:

Sorry for the delay; I did not notice there was a patch buried in a
discussion thread.

We might later need to do this suppression in more codepaths if we
find more regressions, but let's have one fix at a time.  

Will queue.

>  builtin/diff-index.c |  6 +++---
>  diff-merges.c        | 14 ++++----------
>  diff-merges.h        |  2 +-

This would deserve new tests that cover the existing use cases,
given that both of us (and other reviewers in the original thread)
did not notice how big a regression we are causing.

We care about --cc naturally falling back to -p when there is only
one other thing to compare with, and also we care about --cc that
allows us to compare during conflict resolution, at least, I think.

It can and should come as a separate step, of course.  Unbreaking
gitk for an already known breakage would be more urgent than hunting
for other breakages, even though the latter might result in a more
thorough fix in the end.

Thanks.