Subject: Re: [PATCH v4 0/5] drop support for ancient curl

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2021 12:50:57 -0700

Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]> writes:

>>     +    The documentation[2] currently claims that it was introduced in
>>     +    7.16.4, but the symbols-in-versions file correctly states
>>     +    7.17.0[3].
>>     +
>>     +    I've submitted an upstream
>>     +    patch (<[email-masked]>) to the
>>     +    curl-library mailing list fix the documentation.
>
> I am not sure how to get to the patch, but I suspect you might be
> misreading "up to X", which is different from "before X".  Once cURL
> mailing list confirms my suspicion, we would need to come back and
> update this patch again.

Ah, I found it at https://curl.se/mail/lib-2021-07/0058.html

Nobody seems to have responded yet, but I do think you are
misreading what "X was known under a different name Y up to 7.16.4"
means.  These places do not say "before 7.16.4", which would have
implied that as of 7.16.4 you would be able to use X (not Y).

But because "up to" is "less than or equal to but not more than"
(e.g https://dictionary.cambridge.org/us/dictionary/english/up-to),
what applies to 7.16.3 also applies to 7.16.4, but not to 7.17.0.
IOW, the feature X was known as Y when 7.16.4 was current, so our
use of X would not have worked with that exact version.  We would
have needed to wait until the next version (7.17.0).