Subject: Re: [PATCH] doc: merge: mention default of defaulttoupstream

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 08 Jun 2021 14:24:35 +0900

Felipe Contreras <[email-masked]> writes:

> Commit a01f7f2ba0 (merge: enable defaulttoupstream by default,
> 2014-04-20) forgot to mention the new default in the configuration
> documentation.
>
> Signed-off-by: Felipe Contreras <[email-masked]>
> ---
>  Documentation/config/merge.txt | 2 +-
>  1 file changed, 1 insertion(+), 1 deletion(-)
>
> diff --git a/Documentation/config/merge.txt b/Documentation/config/merge.txt
> index cb2ed58907..6b66c83eab 100644
> --- a/Documentation/config/merge.txt
> +++ b/Documentation/config/merge.txt
> @@ -14,7 +14,7 @@ merge.defaultToUpstream::
>  	branches at the remote named by `branch.<current branch>.remote`
>  	are consulted, and then they are mapped via `remote.<remote>.fetch`
>  	to their corresponding remote-tracking branches, and the tips of
> -	these tracking branches are merged.
> +	these tracking branches are merged. Defaults to true.

That's definititely an improvement.

Will queue.

By the way, is the convoluted description around remote-tracking
branches still understandable to those who often work on a branch
forked from another local branch, or would readers be helped if we
had a two separate descriptions (one forking from remote and the
other forking locally)?  This is a side question as the answer does
not change the validity of this patch at all.

Thanks.