Subject: Re: [PATCH v3 08/12] grep: allow submodule functions to run in parallel

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2020 10:57:50 -0800

SZEDER Gábor <[email-masked]> writes:

> Junio, Matheus, Philippe,
>
> this patch below and a7f3240877 (grep: ignore --recurse-submodules if
> --no-index is given, 2020-01-26) on topic
> 'pb/do-not-recurse-grep-no-index' don't work well together, and cause
> failure of the test 'grep --recurse-submodules --no-index ignores
> --recurse-submodules' in 't7814-grep-recurse-submodules.sh', i.e. in
> the new test added in a7f3240877.

Hmph, I wonder if "ignore --recurse-submodules if --no-index" should
have been done as a single liner patch, something along the lines of
"after parse_options() returns, drop recurse_submodules if no-index
was given", i.e.

@@ -958,6 +946,8 @@ int cmd_grep(int argc, const char **argv, const char *prefix)
 			/* die the same way as if we did it at the beginning */
 			setup_git_directory();
 	}
+	if (!use_index)
+		recurse_submodules = 0; /* ignore */
 
 	/*
 	 * skip a -- separator; we know it cannot be