Subject: Re: [PATCH] t/Makefile: add a rule to re-run previously-failed tests

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2016 10:18:26 -0700

Johannes Schindelin <[email-masked]> writes:

> While developing patch series, it is a good practice to run the test
> suite from time to time, just to make sure that obvious bugs are caught
> early. With complex patch series, it is common to run `make -j15 -k
> test`, i.e. run the tests in parallel and not stop at the first failing
> test but continue.

Hmmm, my tests run in parallel and do not stop at the first one
without '-k'.  What are we doing differently?

> It is the most convenient way to determine which tests failed after
> running the entire test suite, in parallel, to look for left-over "trash
> directory.t*" subdirectories in the t/ subdirectory.

Good idea, but I'd drop "in the t/ subdirectory" from the
description.

> +failed: $(patsubst trash,,$(patsubst directory.%,%.sh,$(wildcard trash\ directory.t[0-9]*)))
> +

This would not work if you use --root=<there> in GIT_TEST_OPTS, I am
afraid.