Subject: Re: [PATCH 1/4] rebase -i: add ack action

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2016 13:00:25 -0700

"Michael S. Tsirkin" <[email-masked]> writes:

>> As to the "use commit-tree", well, personally I am not interested in
>> a solution that can work well in my workflow ONLY if I further script
>> it.  That's half-solution and unless that half is done very well,
>> I'd rather do a full solution better.
>
> Absolutely. But that's not what I meant. I will add a flag to git-ack to
> select a branch and use commit-tree to put the ack commit there
> *internally*. Would this do everything you need? How do you select
> a branch? Automatically or do you remember the mapping from topic
> to branch name?
> ...
> For first part, that is less common but also happens
> (for example I get "for patches 1,7 and 23 in series: ACK") -
> I would do git ack -s
> to store David's signoff, then tag just messages by David
> (probably just using limit ~b From:\ David in mutt)
> and pipe them to git ack -r.
>
> Does this sound user-friendly enough? What would you do
> differently?

Because my workflow is I usually comment on and review many topics
without applying them to anywhere, by the time I start applying
patches, I often know which one got Acked and Reviewed already.

So for them the workflow would be

 0. Think which maintenance track the topic should be based on.

 1. Fork

    $ git checkout -b <new topic> maint-<appropriate track>

 2. In my MUA, pipe the message into this pipeline

    Meta/add-by -r peff@ -a Tsirkin | git am -s3c

where the "add-by" script (found in 'todo') expands the given names
using .mailmap and appends appropriate trailers (the latter should
eventually be updated to use interpret-trailers when the tool
matures, but I did not think it was there yet when I last updated
the "add-by" script).

So for a use case where I work off of my MUA, I have no use for your
"git ack".