Subject: Re: [PATCH] contrib/subtree: portability fix for string printing

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 08 May 2015 10:49:38 -0700

Danny Lin <[email-masked]> writes:

> Replace echo using printf in debug() and say() for
> better portability.
>
> Also re-wrap previous 'say -n "$str<CR>"' using a new
> function progress() to prevent CR chars included in the
> source code, which could be mal-processed in some shells.
> For example, MsysGit trims CR before executing a shell
> script file in order to make it work right on Windows
> even if it uses CRLF as linefeeds.
>
> Signed-off-by: Danny Lin <[email-masked]>
> ---

Thanks, this looks good.  Will apply with a little bit of tweak in
the log message.

Just for future reference, when shooting many iterations of the same
patch in a short timeframe, please be aware that the recipient may
not get the messages in the order you sent, and that it may not be
apparent to the recipients what changed between the iterations.
What we commonly do around here to address these issues is to
mention what changed from the previous one below the "---" line
before the diffstat.  I would have done something like this if I
were doing this patch, for example:

        ...
        even if it uses CRLF as linefeeds.

        Signed-off-by: Danny Lin <[email-masked]>
        ---

        * The previous one still used "log" helper by mistake even
          though I removed the implementation of it and decided to
          use "echo" for non-tricky cases.  This fixes it.

          contrib/subtree/git-subtree.sh | 13 ++++++++++---
        ...