Subject: Re: git stash merge

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Apr 2015 11:12:50 -0700

Pawel Por <[email-masked]> writes:

> I've just upgraded the linux kernel git source tree and I want to
> "pop" my stashed work. I do the following:
> git stash pop
>
> and I got the following message:
> mm/Makefile: needs merge
> unable to refresh index

The symptom indicates that "upgraded the linux kernel git source
tree" has not been cleanly completed and has an unmerged entry in
the index.  That is the first thing "stash pop" tries to check that
the source tree does not have any pending change that does not have
anything to do with your application of the stash, and you seem to
be triggering that safety check.

If your working tree does not have changes of any value, perhaps
"git reset --hard && git pull" (or you may even want to resort to
"git fetch && git reset --hard origin") to make sure "upgraded the
source tree" part truly has cleanly completed may be a good second
step to get "stash pop" going.  The good first step is to see what
local changes you have, of course---perhaps your "upgraded the linux
kernel git source tree" conflicted with your local changes that you
need to resolve first.