Subject: Re: [PATCH] doc: fix 'git status --help' character quoting

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2014 13:02:42 -0700

Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]> writes:

> "Philip Oakley" <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> From: "Junio C Hamano" <[email-masked]>
>> ...
>>> I think it is just the font. I just opened the above page with
>>> Chrome and futzed the text from '0' to '0123456789' to see how it
>>> look.  That round thing is consistent with how other digits are
>>> rendered.
>>>
>>> https://plus.google.com/u/0/+JunioCHamano/posts/dzNXV2FwP6K
>>>
>>> (sorry for a URL to plus)
>>>
>>>> https://www.kernel.org/pub/software/scm/git/docs/git-status.html
>>>> (which IIUC is out of date) has an unformatted 0.
>>> --
>>
>> I've just had a look at how it formats when the zero is back-tick
>> quoted s /ASCII 0/ASCII `0`/ and it looks OK with both Chromium and
>> Firefox on my hack Ubuntu laptop - the character is colourised and
>> full sized, and the --man page output looks unchanged and clearly a
>> zero.
>>
>> my hacky attempt at an in-line patch (squash in?) below:
>
> You'd need a matching change to 34 in the same document to preserve
> the consistency the original patch sought, though ;-)

Not that I think such a change makes much sense.

If there was a way to force use of a font whose numerals and I/O are
more clearly distinguishable and we do so for all HTML documents we
generate, that would be a good change that is not limited to these
places, though.