Subject: Re: [RFC/PATCH] mailinfo: do not treat ">From" lines as in-body headers

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2014 11:01:05 -0700

Jeff King <[email-masked]> writes:

> The only cases that I can think of that would be a problem with this
> strictness are:
>
>   1. Somebody writes format-patch output to a file, reads in the mbox
>      using another program, and then writes out the result (munging the
>      mbox From line). And then pastes the whole thing into their email
>      body.
>
>      I can see the first part happening. But given that it is totally
>      irrelevant _unless_ they then screw up and paste the From line in
>      the body (which is already a corner case), it probably doesn't
>      matter.

Yeah, I tend to agree.

>   2. We change the static From lines that git generates. We can always
>      update the parser, of course, but it may be running a different
>      version of git than the sender.  People with an old git running
>      "git am" would stop skipping past "From" lines in messages from
>      people on newer gits.

I hope that it is not going to happen; the reason we refrain from
ever changing the datestamp has been to keep it constant to help
those who write magic(5), and I do not think we have a reason to
defeat that.

> I think you forgot to "git add" mbox.h. That being said, if we did go
> this route, I do not see any reason to share the code at all. This can
> be purely a mailinfo.c thing.

OK.  A reroll coming today when I find time.