Subject: Re: [PATCH v2] pager: remove 'S' from $LESS by default

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 07 May 2014 10:07:29 -0700

Jeff King <[email-masked]> writes:

> On Tue, May 06, 2014 at 08:49:22PM +0200, Matthieu Moy wrote:
> ...
>> The idea of having a separate default value for pager.blame (or set
>> $LESS differently for blame) crossed my mind, but I actually don't like
>> it, as it would make it harder for a user to fine-tune his configuration
>> manually (one would have to cancel all the corner-cases that Git would
>> set by default).
>
> Agreed. We already get some confusion from users with "git has set $LESS
> for me".  Changing it to "git set up $LESS depending on which command is
> running" seems like it would cause more of the same.

While I fully agree with the above conclusion, I just noticed that I
will be irritated enough to eventually set pager.blame myself, after
running a short "git blame -L1311,+7 git-p4.py", which is one of the
standard first steps for me to start reading patches submit on the
list.

Even with line wrapping, the output fits on a single page, so "F"
(aka "--quit-if-one-screen") kicks in, before giving me a chance to
scroll horizontally around.

Not objecting to the conclusion of the discussion with a concrete
counterproposal.  Just hoping somebody clever enough might come up
with a good trick to make things easier to use and explain, which I
however suspect may be an incompatible pair of goals.