Subject: Re: [PATCH v5 0/6] Reject non-ff pulls by default

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2014 12:16:00 -0700

Felipe Contreras <[email-masked]> writes:

>>     - With the endgame of "out of box Git without any configuration
>>       refuses 'git pull' (without --merge/--rebase) that does not
>>       fast forward" in mind, start warning "In the future you will
>>       have to either set pull.mode (and/or its friends) or type
>>       "pull --merge" (or "pull --rebase") when the endgame version
>>       of 'git pull' would fail with the error message, but still do
>>       as was asked to do as before.  At this step, existing users
>>       can set pull.mode to "merge" or "rebase" or whatever to
>>       squelch the warning.
>> 
>>     - Flip the default.  By the time this happens, thanks to the
>>       previous step to warn beforehand, nobody needs to see the
>>       warning. (your step 4)
>
> This is what my last version of the series did[1]. However, my plan was
> to land this in 1.x so users could see the warning, and then flip the
> switch on 2.0.
>
> This plan, however, fell off the cliff.

Yeah, I see that $gmane/234488 explains why the second step in the
previous one stopped.  I guess it was in expecting a reroll state,
waiting for that other topic (I do not remember offhand) to
graduate.

I see nothing touching the affected codepaths now, so this time
around we may have a better chance, perhaps?