Subject: Re: [PATCH] build: tolerate use of _Generic from glibc 2.43 with Clang

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 May 2026 12:23:11 +0900

Patrick Steinhardt <[email-masked]> writes:

> Instead, work around the issue by not using -std=gnu99 with Clang when
> using the Makefile and by disabling warnings about C11 extensions when
> using Meson. This isn't ideal, but we at least retain the ability to
> detect the (mis-)use of features from newer standards with GCC.
>
> An alternative to this might be to simply bump the required C standard
> to C11, which is 15 years old by now and should have support on most
> platforms out there. But some more esoteric platforms may not have it.

Wouldn't the approach you took on the meson side to pass
"-Wno-c11-extensions" be yet another alternative?  I think that is
what the other proposal (which was only for Makefile world and not
for meson world) did, even though it may not have been a great
implemenation to help only those who use config.mak.dev

   <[email-masked]>

We would need a patch to apply at lesat on v2.54.0 but possibly
older tracks if we plan to keep them also buildable.

Thanks.