Subject: Re: [PATCH v2 1/1] Allow reworking with a file after deciding on all its hunks

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 02 Feb 2026 09:26:28 -0800

Samuel Abraham <[email-masked]> writes:

>> I am not sure if I would like the end result or rather prefer your
>> "all-or-none", so please do not take this as "here is a better way
>> to implement it" suggestion.
>>
>> But you should be able to keep the current semantics, if you wanted
>> to, even if you apply the chosen hunks when you switch files, like
>> the original code has been doing forever since it was written.  You
>> know which hunks you applied, so after applying before moving on to
>> the next file, you can drop these hunks from the list of hunks to be
>> decided for application.  When the user comes back to the current
>> file to decide on other hunks, you know that the already used hunks
>> would get in the way, so why keep them?
>
> Yes thank you so much for suggesting this approach.

Not so fast.  I explicitly said I am *NOT* suggesting anything.

And thinking about it more, I do not think it makes any sense to do
anything other than "all-or-none" when the command is working in
your new "you can move to different files before you decide on all
hunks in the current file" mode (which I think we agreed to make it
an optional mode).  Why?  After deciding yes, no, no among 5 hunks
in the first file (leaving the hunks #4 and #5 undecided), you jump
to the second file, do something there, and imagine that you come
back.  If we drop the alrady applied hunks like the suggestion,
which I did not make ;-), we'd then give you four hunks (as hunk #1
has been already applied), and even though you have already decided
not to use hunks #2 and #3, you *can* revisit them with "J" or "K",
change your mind and use them if you wanted to.  But it is too late
for the hunk #1.  It looks utterly inconsistent if you cannot change
your mind on hunk #1 but can on hunks #2 and #3 and it reduces the
usefulness of "you do not have to decide right now and visit other
files before you do so" mode.

Thanks.