Subject: Re: [BUG] `git clone '-c KEY=VALUE'` no longer works

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 30 Nov 2025 10:11:06 -0800

Jeff King <[email-masked]> writes:

> That's about where I'm at, though I'm a little worried by Dscho's
> mention that apparently git-lfs has the same problem. So maybe it's more
> widespread than I am giving it credit for?

Reading <https://github.com/git-for-windows/git/issues/5972>, I
think the mention of LFS in Dscho's message on this list was a
red-herring, as corrected by Dscho himself at

  https://github.com/git-for-windows/git/issues/5972#issuecomment-3577520017

I do not know if buggily constructed command line by Atlassian
Bamboo is something we want to bend over backwards to help papering
over, but probably not.

> I dunno. I certainly do not want to get into a deprecation period and
> all of that mess. Maybe the breakage in v2.52.0 would be enough for
> callers to notice and fix their invocations, and we could just quietly
> remove the hack later? But then, I am not sure what makes "later" any
> better than "now".

Yes.  Let's write it off as an inadvertent bugfix ;-)

Thanks.