Subject: Re: [PATCH 3/3] add-interactive: add new "context" subcommand

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 07 May 2025 12:10:41 -0700

Phillip Wood <[email-masked]> writes:

> On 06/05/2025 17:37, Junio C Hamano wrote:
>> An alternative that may work better is to allow subcommand specific
>> parameters in the answer to the "What now>" prompt, e.g.
>> 	What now> r -U7
>> to choose an equivalent to "git revert -p -U7".
>
> I think the best solution would be to allow users to re-display the
> current hunk with more context inside "add -p" rather than changing
> "add -i". That way a user who needs more context to make a decision on
> the current hunk can get it without restarting the whole process of
> selecting hunks [1]. If the user knows up front that they want a
> certain amount of context they can use "git add -p -U <context>" or
> "git add -i -U <context>" which was added in the preceding patch.

Yes, but notice that the above is about interactive mode "add -i"
that is setting the diff.context to 7 for subsequent "patch"
command, not against "Stage this hunk [y,n,q,...]?" prompt inside
"add -p".  Once you go into the "--patch" mode, especially after you
let the user to edit some hunks, "redisplay this hunk with wider
context" is an impossible operation with the current code structure,
I think, as the implementation does not keep track of information
that are needed to do so.

So, this is like "restarting 'add -p' with -U7", but done from the
"add -i" session.