Subject: Re: [PATCH v2 1/3] sequencer: comment checked-out branch properly

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2024 07:57:37 +0900

[email-masked] writes:

>>> ...
>>> +	git checkout topic2 &&
>>> +	git -c core.commentChar=% rebase --update-refs base
>>> +'
>> Can we improve this test a bit to give it more visibility into the
>> breakage?
>> I am sure that the internal machinery gets confused because it wants
>> to skip commented out lines assuming '%' is used for comments, and
>> fails to skip lines that are commented with '#', but it is a bit too
>> opaque how this would break without the fix.  Perhaps add a line or
>> two of a comment to the test to describe what the expected mode of
>> failure is?
>
> Or check the todo list shown to the user with
>
> 	GIT_SEQUENCE_EDITOR="cat >actual" git -c core.commentChar=% \
> 		rebase -i --update-refs base &&
> 	test_grep "% Ref refs/heads/wt-topic checked out at " actual
>
> so that we are sure that line exists - I had a quick look and I can't
> see any existing coverage checking that the todo list contains this
> comment.

Yeah, with "rebase -i", it is a part of end-user experience to see
these comments, and a check to make sure they are shown to guide the
user is certainly a good idea.

A test of "rebase" without "-i" is a different matter.  Maybe in the
future, while we still reuse the machinery used for the interactive
mode to implement the non-interactive rebase, we may tweak it so
that we do not generate commented lines, only to be skipped by the
parser, in the todo list file that is only used internally.

Thanks.