Subject: Re: [PATCH 0/3] git for-each-ref: is-base atom and base branches

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 02 Aug 2024 09:55:30 -0700

Derrick Stolee <[email-masked]> writes:

> consider this documentation diff, and I look forward to other review
> comments that I can use to improve this series before sending v2.
>
> diff --git a/Documentation/git-for-each-ref.txt
> b/Documentation/git-for-each-ref.txt
> index c1dd12b93cf..5154ba3e2a7 100644
> --- a/Documentation/git-for-each-ref.txt
> +++ b/Documentation/git-for-each-ref.txt
> @@ -264,6 +264,16 @@ ahead-behind:<committish>::
>  	commits ahead and behind, respectively, when comparing the output
>  	ref to the `<committish>` specified in the format.
>
> +is-base:<committish>::
> +	In at most one row, `(<committish>)` will appear to indicate the ref
> +	that minimizes the number of commits in the first-parent history of
> +	`<committish>` and not in the first-parent history of the ref. Ties
> +	are broken by favoring the earliest ref in the list. Note that this
> +	token will not appear if the first-parent history of `<committish>`
> +	does not intersect the first-parent histories of the filtered refs.
> +	This can be used as a heuristic to guess which of the filtered refs
> +	was used as the base of the branch that produced `<committish>`.
> +

OK.  Knowing what definition you used is crucial when reading the
implementation, as we cannot tell what you wanted to implement
without it ;-)

Thanks.