Subject: Re: [PATCH 0/4] Introduce a "promisor-remote" capability

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2024 09:01:25 -0700

Christian Couder <[email-masked]> writes:

> Earlier this year, I sent 3 versions of a patch series with the goal
> of allowing a client C to clone from a server S while using the same
> promisor remote X that S already use. See:
>
> https://lore.kernel.org/git/[email-masked]/
>
> Junio suggested to instead implement that feature using:

I actually do not see it as "instead".  The end result would be the
same when things go right.  The only "instead" part is that a protocol
exchange gives you a chance to make sure that the server can tell that
it is OK to omit objects available elsewhere and the fetcher knows
about it, instead of letting the server blindly assuming that it is
fine to omit objects.

> This patch series implements that protocol extension called
> "promisor-remote" (that name is open to change or simplification)
> which allows S and C to agree on C using X directly or not.

;-)