Subject: Re: [PATCH v2 2/2] t1006: ensure cat-file info isn't buffered by default

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2024 16:37:48 -0700

Eric Wong <[email-masked]> writes:

>> Yes, using Perl is a good substitute for writing it in C in this
>> case.  I however question the choice to use t9700/test.pl here,
>> which is clearly stated that its purpose is to "test perl interface
>> which is Git.pm", and added tests are not testing anything in Git.pm
>> at all.
>> 
>> Using t9700/test.pl only because it happens to use "perl -MTest::More"
>> sounds a bit eh, suboptimal.
>
> *shrug*  I figure Test::More is common enough since it's part of
> the Perl standard library; but I consider Perl a better scripting
> language than sh by far and wish our whole test suite were Perl :>

Oh, I think we (actually the author of t9700) considers it common
enough that we have PERL_TEST_MORE prerequisite to allow us to write
tests, assuming that it is available, and let us easily skip where
it is not available.  So I do not think I mind the dependency on
Test::More at all.  Moving the tests to t1006 and rewriting the
tests not to use Test::More are two separate and unrelated things,
and if you are more comfortable with Test::More (and more
importantly if it is natural to write Perl based tests using
Test::More), it is not necessary to switch away from it.