Subject: Re: Add Commit Summary in blame?

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 05 Apr 2024 17:19:03 -0700

Aleks Todorov <[email-masked]> writes:

> Would people be interested in seeing a patch that adds an option to
> see the commit message summary line in the git blame output? I imagine
> I'm not the first person to come up with this, is there a reason why
> it wasn't already implemented? The porcelain already has it, so the
> change is trivial.

I personally do not.  The blame output on the left-hand-side is
already wide enough to be even annoying.

A patch that might interest me personally would be one that takes
the --format option (copy from the log family plus add some that are
only useful in "git blame", like "line number") to allow customizing
the left-hand-side of the output, and allows us to reimplement ugly
hacks^W^W ad-hoc options (like -l, -t, --date, -f, -n, -s, -e) in
terms of that.  With such a feature, of course your "commit summary"
will come almost for free in the form of --format=%s I would think.

A change that adds even more ad-hoc options is probably not welcome,
I would have to say.