Subject: Re: [PATCH] RFC: add MAINTAINERS file

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 01 Apr 2024 15:13:27 -0700

Taylor Blau <[email-masked]> writes:

>> I don't think of this as "big enough to require this". I rather think
>> about the onboarding experience for new folks here. Sure, we can ask
>> them to "Please run git-shortlog(1) to figure out whom to Cc". But if we
>> instead provide a nice script that does it for them then we make their
>> lifes easier.
>
> Do you think that the script in contrib/contacts does a sufficient job
> at this?

Yup, that was my first reaction.  If it is not sufficient to
mechanically mine history with shortlog or blame or contacts, and if
we can add a high quality hand-curated input to improve the result
contacts gives us, that would be a progress. I view the MAINTAINERS
format just one way to give such human generated input.

> Perhaps we haven't been as good at advertising this script as we could
> be, and that's why it isn't as widely used as it could be? I'm not sure.

Good point.  Do we even mention it in MyFirstSomething docs?