Subject: Re: [PATCH v4 0/3] apply with core.filemode=false

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 07 Feb 2024 14:15:58 -0800

Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]> writes:

> Chandra Pratap noticed that "git apply" on a filesystem without
> executable bit support gives a warning when applying a patch that
> expects the preimage file to have executable bit on.  Dscho noticed
> that the initial fix by Chandra did not work well when applying a
> patch in reverse.  It turns out that apply.c:reverse_patches()
> invalidates the "a patch that does not change mode bits have the
> mode bits in .old_mode member and not in .new_mode member" invariant
> we rely on.
>
> Here is the result of concerted effort.
>
> Chandra Pratap (1):
>   apply: ignore working tree filemode when !core.filemode
>
> Junio C Hamano (2):
>   apply: correctly reverse patch's pre- and post-image mode bits
>   apply: code simplification
>
>  apply.c                   | 16 +++++++++++++---
>  t/t4129-apply-samemode.sh | 27 +++++++++++++++++++++++++++
>  2 files changed, 40 insertions(+), 3 deletions(-)

Anybody wants to offer a review on this?  I actually am fairly
confortable with these without any additional review, but since I am
sweeping the "Needs review" topics in the What's cooking report, I
thought I would ask for this one, too.