Subject: Re: Fix git-send-email.perl w.r.t. recent Getopt::Long update

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2023 09:58:52 +0900

"H.Merijn Brand" <[email-masked]> writes:

> From the Getopt::Long changes:
> ```
> Changes in version 2.55
> -----------------------
> * Fix long standing bug that duplicate options were not detected when
>   the options differ in case while ignore_case is in effect.
>   This will now yield a warning and become a fatal error in a future
>   release.
> ```
>
> Current version is 2.57

This patch looks like duplicate of

  https://lore.kernel.org/git/[email-masked]/

perhaps independently discovered and worked on.  Thanks for caring.

One downside of unconditional upgrade of the call is, of course,
that it would no longer work for those with older Getopt::Long that
did not support the "!" suffix.  Fortunately, Getopt::Long 2.33
started shipping with Perl 5.8.1 that is more than 20 years old, so
with the series we accepted, we also have a change to bump the
required version of Perl from 5.8.0 to 5.8.1 to make it clear that
it is deliberate that we drop the support for anything older at the
same time.