Subject: Re: [PATCH] rebase --skip: fix commit message clean up when skipping squash

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 07 Aug 2023 09:16:30 -0700

Phillip Wood <[email-masked]> writes:

>> I am not sure if deviating from expect vs actual is such a good
>> idea.  It is not like use of two temporary files are transparent to
>> the caller of the new test helper---indeed, expect and actual are
>> likely to be used by the caller in tests that comes before or after
>> the ones that use test_commit_message, and by using a pair of files
>> that are different, the caller will now see two extra untracked
>> files left in the working tree.
>
> That's true, looking at test-lib-functions.sh it seems I unwittingly
> followed the example of test_cmp_config() which uses
> {actual,expect}.config when it calls test_cmp(). Anyway as this is in
> next I assume you're happy enough with the implementation as it
> stands.

You assumed too much ;-).  The above is a bad move, but is minor
enough and it is not a show-stopper.  If you are aware of other bad
examples, clean-up patches after the dust settles would be very much
welcomed.

Thanks.