Subject: Re: [PATCH v2] credential/libsecret: erase matching creds only

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2023 10:15:01 -0700

"M Hickford via GitGitGadget" <[email-masked]> writes:

> From: M Hickford <[email-masked]>
>
> The credential erase request typically includes protocol, host, username
> and password.
>
> credential-libsecret erases a stored credential if it matches protocol,
> host and username, regardless of password.
>
> This is confusing in the case the stored password differs from that
> in the request. This case can occur when multiple credential helpers are
> configured.
>
> Only erase credential if stored password matches request (or request
> omits password).

This is much better.

> This fixes test "helper ... does not erase a password distinct from
> input" introduced in aeb21ce22e (credential: avoid erasing distinct
> password, 2023-06-13)

This was still confusing for a patch that does not touch anything in
t/, but after re-reading aeb21ce22e and the above a few times, I
think I get it.  Adding the following

	, when t0303 is run with GIT_TEST_CREDENTIAL_HELPER set to
	"libsecret".

at the end may help, but perhaps it is too obvious for folks who are
ready to actually review this change---presumably they are familiar
with how t0303 is to be used and read that without being told from
the context?

Thanks.