Subject: [PATCH] doc: GIT_DEFAULT_HASH is and will be ignored during "clone"

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2023 08:13:55 -0700

The phrasing "is currently ignored" was prone to be misinterpreted
as if we were wishing if it were honored.  Rephrase it to make it
clear that the experimental variable will be ignored.

In the longer term, after/when we allow incremental/over-the-wire
migration of the object-format, i.e. cloning from an SHA-1
repository to create an SHA-256 repository (or vice versa) and
fetching and pushing between them would bidirectionally convert the
object format on the fly, it is likely that we would teach a new
option "--object-format" to "git clone" to say "you would use
whatever object format the origin uses by default, but this time, I
am telling you to use this format on our side, doing on-the-fly
object format conversion as needed".  So it is perfectly OK to
ignore the settings of this experimental variable, even after such
an extension happens that makes it necessary for us to have a way to
create a new repository that uses different object format from the
origin repository.

Signed-off-by: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
---

 * An obvious follow-up to the previous discussion.

 Documentation/git.txt | 6 +++---
 1 file changed, 3 insertions(+), 3 deletions(-)

diff --git c/Documentation/git.txt w/Documentation/git.txt
index 74973d3cc4..54b043899f 100644
--- c/Documentation/git.txt
+++ w/Documentation/git.txt
@@ -546,9 +546,9 @@ double-quotes and respecting backslash escapes. E.g., the value
 
 `GIT_DEFAULT_HASH`::
 	If this variable is set, the default hash algorithm for new
-	repositories will be set to this value. This value is currently
-	ignored when cloning; the setting of the remote repository
-	is used instead. The default is "sha1". THIS VARIABLE IS
+	repositories will be set to this value. This value is
+	ignored when cloning and the setting of the remote repository
+	is always used. The default is "sha1". THIS VARIABLE IS
 	EXPERIMENTAL! See `--object-format` in linkgit:git-init[1].
 
 Git Commits