Subject: Re: "git diff" surprising default output

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 01 Mar 2023 11:40:17 -0800

Sergey Organov <[email-masked]> writes:

> I figured the offender is --indent-heuristic that is described in the
> manual as:
>
>       Enable the heuristic that shifts diff hunk boundaries to make
>       patches easier to read. This is the default.
>
> but apparently rather makes patches harder to read, at least at some
> conditions. Turning it off helps to get the expected result:

As a heuristic, it is not surprising that it has some corner cases
where it does not shine.  I think the version that was eventually
merged starts here

  https://lore.kernel.org/git/[email-masked]/

and we should be able to find a few links to the original
observation that motivated the change, e.g.

  https://public-inbox.org/git/[email-masked]/

Thanks.