Subject: Re: [PATCH] merge-file: fix build warning with gcc 4.8.5

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2022 14:23:41 -0700

Jeff King <[email-masked]> writes:

> On Fri, Jul 29, 2022 at 04:48:55PM -0400, Eric Sunshine wrote:
>
>> Leaving aside for the moment the problem with Apple's oddball invented
>> version numbers for `clang`, should this patch also take older `clang`
>> versions into consideration rather than focusing only on `gcc`? (Of
>> course, `clang` could be dealt with in a separate patch if you'd
>> rather not worry about it here.)
>
> I was just fixing the reported gcc issue, and forgot totally that clang
> had been mentioned in previous rounds. I'd be happy to just see a clang
> patch on top of this once somebody figures out the right versions (but
> it may be impossible without figuring out the oddball Apple thing).

I am willing to say that we do not care about "oddball Apple thing"
and have developers on that platform to propose how to handle their
compiler.

In any case, https://gcc.gnu.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=53119
seems to indicate that given enough time this problem will
disappear, so I'd refrain from suggesting to use -Wno-missing-braces
everywhere.

Thanks.