Subject: Re: [PATCH v2] pull: only pass '--recurse-submodules' to subcommands

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 May 2022 13:37:47 -0700

Glen Choo <[email-masked]> writes:

> Hm, yes that makes more sense. The commit message leads with the bug, so
> it's more consistent to mention the bug in the title too.
>
> It's arguably more _correct_ to say that passing only the CLI option is
> the desired result,

Correct.

If it were clear that the title meant "teach 'git pull' to try
affecting the recursive behaviour of subcommands only when it got
'--recurse-submodules' on its command line", I wouldn't have waited
for retitling.

It however is easy to misread the original title in such a way that
the mention of '--recurse-submodules' refers to the fact that 'pull'
invokes 'fetch' and passes the "--recurse-submodules" command line
option, and "only" incorrectly hints that 'pull' passes only that
option and no other option from the command line when it does so.

That will be puzzling because (1) that is clearly not what we do in
today's code, suggesting this is a totally different change from
what we have in the patch, and (2) it is not clear what we want to
achieve by changing the code in such a drastic way to stop passing
"--all" and other options to "fetch".

So, it is arguable, but the original title does not say what we
wanted it to say, exactly.