Subject: Re: [PATCH] mergetool: do not enable hideResolved by default

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2021 17:57:07 -0800

Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]> writes:

> As we want to disable the feature for any backend when the user does
> not explicitly say the feature is wanted (either in general, or for
> a specific backend), the change in the above hunk is exactly want we
> want to see.
>
> Looking good.  Let's not revert the series and disable by default.
>
> Should I expect an updated log message, though?  What was in the
> proposed log message sounded more unsubstantiated complaint than
> giving readable reasons why the feature is unwanted, but both the
> response by Seth and your response to Seth's response had material
> that made it more convincing why we would want to disable this by
> default, e.g. "with little to no explanation", "We don't have a way
> to communicate to the end-user" (both by Seth), "when ... didn't end
> up lining up the files correctly", "no way to visually distinguish"
> (yours) are all good ingredients to explain why this feature is
> prone to subtly and silently give wrong information to the
> end-users.

For tonight's pushout, I'll use the patch as-is and merge it in
'seen'.

Thanks.