Subject: Re: [PATCH 0/4] Check .gitmodules when using packfile URIs

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Feb 2021 15:34:03 -0800

Jonathan Tan <[email-masked]> writes:

> This patch set resolves the .gitmodules-and-tree-in-separate-packfiles
> issue I mentioned in [1] by having index-pack print out all dangling
> .gitmodules (instead of returning with an error code) and then teaching
> fetch-pack to read those and run its own fsck checks after all
> index-pack invocations are complete.
>
> As part of this, index-pack has to output (1) the hash that goes into
> the name of the .pack/.idx file and (2) the hashes of all dangling
> .gitmodules. I just had (2) come after (1). If anyone has a better idea,
> I'm interested.
>
> I also discovered a bug in that different index-pack arguments were used
> when processing the inline packfile and when processing the ones
> referenced by URIs. Patch 1-3 fixes that bug by passing the arguments to
> use as a space-separated URL-encoded list. (URL-encoded so that we can
> have spaces in the arguments.) Again, if anyone has a better idea, I'm
> interested. It is only in patch 4 that we have the dangling .gitmodules
> fix.

This seems to have been stalled but I think it would be a better
approach to use a custom callback for error reporting, suggested by
Ævar, which would be where his fsck API clean-up topic would lead
to.

If it is not ultra-urgent, perhaps you can retract the ones that are
queued right now, work with Ævar to finish the error-callback work
and rebuild this topic on top of it?  Thanks.