Subject: Re: [PATCH] enable core.fsyncObjectFiles by default

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2018 11:08:46 -0800

Christoph Hellwig <[email-masked]> writes:

> [adding Chris to the Cc list - this is about the awful ext3 data=ordered
> behavior of syncing the whole file system data and metadata on each
> fsync]
>
> On Wed, Jan 17, 2018 at 03:57:53PM -0800, Linus Torvalds wrote:
>> On Wed, Jan 17, 2018 at 3:52 PM, Theodore Ts'o <[email-masked]> wrote:
>> >
>> > Well, let's be fair; this is something *ext3* got wrong, and it was
>> > the default file system back them.
>> 
>> I'm pretty sure reiserfs and btrfs did too..
>
> I'm pretty sure btrfs never did, and reiserfs at least looks like
> it currently doesn't but I'd have to dig into history to check if
> it ever did.

So..., is it fair to say that the one you sent in

  https://public-inbox.org/git/[email-masked]/

is the best variant we have seen in this thread so far?  I'll keep
that in my inbox so that I do not forget, but I think we would want
to deal with a hotfix for 2.16 on case insensitive platforms before
this topic.

Thanks.