Subject: [ANNOUNCE] Git v2.12.1

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2017 14:39:11 -0700

The latest maintenance release Git v2.12.1 is now available at
the usual places.

The tarballs are NOT YET found at:

    https://www.kernel.org/pub/software/scm/git/

but hopefully will be in a few days (I am having trouble reaching
there).

The following public repositories all have a copy of the 'v2.12.1'
tag and the 'maint' branch that the tag points at:

  url = https://kernel.googlesource.com/pub/scm/git/git
  url = git://repo.or.cz/alt-git.git
  url = git://git.sourceforge.jp/gitroot/git-core/git.git
  url = git://git-core.git.sourceforge.net/gitroot/git-core/git-core
  url = https://github.com/gitster/git

----------------------------------------------------------------

Git v2.12.1 Release Notes
=========================

Fixes since v2.12
-----------------

 * Reduce authentication round-trip over HTTP when the server supports
   just a single authentication method.  This also improves the
   behaviour when Git is misconfigured to enable http.emptyAuth
   against a server that does not authenticate without a username
   (i.e. not using Kerberos etc., which makes http.emptyAuth
   pointless).

 * Windows port wants to use OpenSSL's implementation of SHA-1
   routines, so let them.

 * Add 32-bit Linux variant to the set of platforms to be tested with
   Travis CI.

 * When a redirected http transport gets an error during the
   redirected request, we ignored the error we got from the server,
   and ended up giving a not-so-useful error message.

 * The patch subcommand of "git add -i" was meant to have paths
   selection prompt just like other subcommand, unlike "git add -p"
   directly jumps to hunk selection.  Recently, this was broken and
   "add -i" lost the paths selection dialog, but it now has been
   fixed.

 * Git v2.12 was shipped with an embarrassing breakage where various
   operations that verify paths given from the user stopped dying when
   seeing an issue, and instead later triggering segfault.

 * The code to parse "git log -L..." command line was buggy when there
   are many ranges specified with -L; overrun of the allocated buffer
   has been fixed.

 * The command-line parsing of "git log -L" copied internal data
   structures using incorrect size on ILP32 systems.

Also contains various documentation updates and code clean-ups.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Changes since v2.12.0 are as follows:

Allan Xavier (1):
      line-log.c: prevent crash during union of too many ranges

Jeff Hostetler (1):
      mingw: use OpenSSL's SHA-1 routines

Jeff King (3):
      http: restrict auth methods to what the server advertises
      http: add an "auto" mode for http.emptyauth
      add--interactive: fix missing file prompt for patch mode with "-i"

Johannes Schindelin (3):
      Travis: also test on 32-bit Linux
      t1501: demonstrate NULL pointer access with invalid GIT_WORK_TREE
      real_pathdup(): fix callsites that wanted it to die on error

Jonathan Tan (1):
      http: attempt updating base URL only if no error

Junio C Hamano (2):
      Preparing for 2.12.1
      Git 2.12.1

Maxim Moseychuk (2):
      stop_progress_msg: convert xsnprintf to xstrfmt
      bisect_next_all: convert xsnprintf to xstrfmt

Vegard Nossum (1):
      line-log: use COPY_ARRAY to fix mis-sized memcpy