Subject: Re: [PATCH v5 10/11] setup_git_directory_gently_1(): avoid die()ing

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2017 12:47:26 -0700

Johannes Schindelin <[email-masked]> writes:

> PLEASE NOTE: the purpose of this patch series is to allow the same
> function (setup_git_directory_gently_1()) to be the work horse for
> setup_git_directory() as before, but also for the new
> discover_git_directory() function that is introduced to fix
> read_early_config() to avoid hardconfig .git/config.
>
> The purpose is *not* to change any current behavior. Please do not ask me
> to do that in this patch series.

Please note that pointing out potential problems is only asking for
confirmation ("yes that is bad") or for enlightenment ("no, you are
reading the code wrong and that bad thing does not happen
because...").  Even in the former case, unless the badness is
introduced by the change, pointing out potential problems is *NOT*
asking to change the patch to fix existing issues.

The former case may split into two.  "Yes I agree that is bad and it
is the same badness as the version without this change", in which
case we may want to leave a "NEEDSWORK" comment in-code so that
people can notice when browsing the code (but fixing the badness
would be outside the scope of the series), and "yes that is bad and
we shouldn't introduce that badness", in which case we do want to
fix it in the patch.

So do not read my (or anybody else's) reviews as _asking_ changes
and making further fixes, and you'll do better.