Subject: Re: [PATCHv3] submodule--helper: normalize funny urls

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2016 12:26:47 -0700

Stefan Beller <[email-masked]> writes:

> Do we actually want to fix git-clone as well?

If I understand correctly, the point of this fix is to make it not
to matter whether the original URL the end user gives or recorded as
the remote by "git clone" in the repository is any one of:

	$any_leading_part/path/to/dir
	$any_leading_part/path/to/dir/
	$any_leading_part/path/to/dir/.

So I do not think there is anything to "fix", as long as "git clone"
that is given any one of the above three records any one of the
above three as the result.  It _may_ be desirable if the result is
identical what was given as input, but I do not offhand think that
is required.

> I tried and then I see breakage in 5603-clone-dirname
> as ssh://host seems to be an invalid url; it has to end with a slash?

That is a separate issue, isn't it?  We shouldn't be touching the
leading "<scheme>://<host>/" part, I would think.  

For example, a URL "../another" relative to "ssh://host/path" may be
"ssh://host/another", but shouldn't it be an error to take
"../../outside" relative to "ssh://host/path"?