Subject: Re: [PATCH v2] t/Makefile: add a rule to re-run previously-failed tests

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 01 Sep 2016 15:52:18 -0700

Sverre Rabbelier <[email-masked]> writes:

>>> I can't really recall, but I think it may have been related to me
>>> doing something like this:
>>> 1. Make a change, and start running tests (this takes a long time)
>>> 2. Notice a failure, start fixing it, leave tests running to find
>>> further failures
>>> 3. Finish fix, first tests are still running, start another run in a
>>> new terminal (possibly of just the one failed test I was fixing) to
>>> see if the fix worked.
>>>
>>> Without the pid, the second run would clobber the results from the first run.
>>>
>> Would present-you disagree with stripping off the -<pid> suffix, based on
>> your recollections?
>
> No objections, I think it should be fine. If anyone uncovers a
> particularly compelling reason later on, it's only a commit away :).

OK, especially with the earlier observation made by Peff in the log
message:

    ... we can see that other files we write to test-results (like
    *.exit and *.out) do _not_ have the PID included. So the
    presence of the PID does not meaningfully allow one to store the
    results from multiple runs anyway.

even if we wanted to, keeping the current code with suffix is not
sufficient, so I suspect it won't be just "a commit" away, but we
should be able to lose it for now.  Hopefully that would help making
Dscho's "what are the failed tests?" logic simpler.

Thanks.