Subject: Re: [PATCH] format-patch: escape "From " lines recognized by mailsplit

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2016 10:33:32 -0700

Eric Wong <[email-masked]> writes:

>> Also, doesn't it break "git rebase" (non-interactive), or anything
>> that internally runs format-patch to individual files and then runs
>> am on each of them, anything that knows that each output file from
>> format-patch corresponds to a single change and there is no need to
>> split, badly if we do this unconditionally?
>
> Yes, rebase should probably unescape is_from_line matches.

This shouldn't matter for "git rebase", as it only reads from the
mbox "From <commit object name> <datestamp>" line to learn the
original commit and extract the log message directly from there.

But a third-party script that wants to read format-patch output
would be forced to upgrade, which is a pain if we make this change
unconditionally.

>> IOW, shouldn't this be an optional feature to format-patch that
>> is triggered by passing a new command line option that currently
>> nobody is passing?