Subject: Re: How to send a warning message from git hosting server?

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 05 Apr 2015 13:18:47 -0700

"Yi, EungJun" <[email-masked]> writes:

> Hello. I am serving a git hosting service for my company.
>
> Sometimes I want to send a warning message to users who use my
> service; e.g. the service will be shutdown tomorrow for a while
> temporary.
>
> I know it is possible to a remote message by hooks or HTTP body if an
> error occured. But it seems that there is no hooks for git-fetch and
> git does not print HTTP body if there is no error.
>
> I want a way to response a remote message when a client send any kind
> of request. Is it possible?

I do not offhand know if there are such hooks, but I would imagine
that I'd be mightily annoyed if I were forced to interact with such
a server.  I may not have a need to pull anything for a few days,
working on my changes, and then I'd find out when the service is
already down.  I may pull many times a day, and for a few days of
pre-announcement period, I'd be forced to see the same message over
and over.  I may have a cron job to fetch down the changes made by
coworkers in other timezones while I am sleeping so that I can start
my day from an up-to-date state, but it is very likely I would say
"fetch --quiet" in the cron job because I want it to be quiet unless
there is an error.

I'd appreciate if the Gitmasters at the company sent an e-mail
addressed to [email-masked] instead.