Subject: Re: [RFC PATCH] format-patch: Add config option format.coverbodytext to change the cover letter body

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 06 Jan 2015 02:37:57 -0800

Stefan Beller <[email-masked]> writes:

> When sending out patch series one of the last things doing is writing
> the cover letter. The cover letter would be a good place to remind
> people to check the todo list for sending patches.

I do not quite understand.  Wouldn't a check-list be useful _before_
you start series of things (I am assuming that you meant a list like
1. run spell check; 2. run checkpatch; 3. run full test suite;
4. format the docs for HTML and manpage)?  Time to write cover
letter (or running format-patch in general) is way too late for
many of these things.

There may be a check-list that is still useful after commits to be
sent are perfect and ready to be formatted.  "Describe change since
the last round after three-dash line." would be one of them
("Sign-off the patch" is not---without one, the commits would not
have been perfect yet).  But for such a check-list, wouldn't we want
remainder not only on the cover but on each individual patch?

Perhaps --add-header="x-reminder: what changed since the last?"
would be sufficient for your purpose instead?