Subject: Re: [PATCH] Introduce a hook to run after formatting patches

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 16 Nov 2014 10:40:42 -0800

Stefan Beller <[email-masked]> writes:

> +post-format-patch
> +~~~~~~~~~~~~
> +
> +This hook is called after format-patch created a patch and it is 
> +invoked with the filename of the patch as the first parameter.

Such an interface would not work well with --stdout mode, would it?

And if this only works with output generated into the files, then

    $ git format-patch $range | xargs -n1 $your_post_processing_script

would do the same without any change to Git, I would imagine.

So I would have to say that I am fairly negative on this change in
the presented form.

An alternative design to implement this as a post-processing filter
to work for both "to individual files" and "to standard output
stream" output filter may be possible, but even in that case I am
not sure if it is worth the churn.

In general I'd look at post-anything hook that works locally with a
great suspicion, so that may partly be where my comment above is
coming from.  I dunno.