Subject: Re: [PATCH 1/3] for-each-ref: introduce %C(...) for color

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 04 Nov 2013 10:17:32 -0800

Ramkumar Ramachandra <[email-masked]> writes:

> Junio C Hamano wrote:
>> This patch is about for-each-ref and your series does not seem to
>> aim to unify it in any way with pretty-formats, so I would have
>> expected an enhancement in line with the former, not the latter.
>
> While I might never attempt a unification again, there's no harm in
> getting the formats to resemble each other in part.

Yes, but...

> it's likely that
> users of f-e-r format will be familiar with pretty-formats.

... users of for-each-ref format will be _more_ familiar with
formats used by for-each-ref, and it would make a lot more sense to
keep the syntactic resemblance between existing features to show
magic things in for-each-ref and the new feature to show color
(which is merely one new "magic" to the vocabulary in the context of
for-each-ref), no?