Subject: edit Author/Date metadata as part of 'git commit' $EDITOR invocation?

From: Adam Megacz <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 03 Jan 2010 23:32:57 +0000

Hi, folks.

>>From the output of 'git show', it appears that a commit has a few fields
of metadata associated with it in addition to the comment.  These fields
seem to include Author, AuthorDate, Committer, and CommitDate.

  1. Are there other fields aside from these four?

  2. When I invoke 'git commit' without the '-m' argument I'm dropped
     into the cozy $EDITOR of my choice and given the opportunity to
     edit the commit message.  Is there any way to include the metadata
     fields in this editing session?  That way I could both sanity-check
     them as I perform the commit (important) and modify them if they're
     wrong (less important).

     I've been having problems lately with running git on machines where
     I forgot to set up my .gitconfig; I wind up with patches that have
     committers like root@mymachine and so forth.  Being automatically
     shown the committer/author when I make the commit would help me
     avoid these situations.

Thanks,

  - a