Subject: Re: edit Author/Date metadata as part of 'git commit' $EDITOR invocation?

From: Adam Megacz <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 04 Jan 2010 21:08:20 +0000

Sverre Rabbelier <[email-masked]> writes:
> On Sun, Jan 3, 2010 at 18:32, Adam Megacz <[email-masked]> wrote:
>>     I've been having problems lately with running git on machines where
>>     I forgot to set up my .gitconfig; I wind up with patches that have
>>     committers like root@mymachine and so forth.  Being automatically
>>     shown the committer/author when I make the commit would help me
>>     avoid these situations.
>
> At the very least it should be easy to include these fields as
> comments in the message template.

That would be great.

> But of course you would still be bitten if you used "git commit -m"
> :(.

Perhaps a preference (off by default) demanding that they be set
explicitly when "git commit -m" is used?

Some people care more than others about the metadata; this is for the
folks to whom it matters a lot.

  - a