Subject: [PATCH 4/6] perf-events: export enable/disable event symbols to kernel modules

From: [email-masked] (Will Deacon)
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2010 11:47:19 -0000

Hello Peter,

> On Wed, 2010-03-10 at 10:41 +0000, Will Deacon wrote:
> > The perf_event_enable and perf_event_disable functions are used to
> > control the activation of perf-events for a given context or CPU.
> >
> > This patch exports these symbols so that they can be used by kernel
> > modules. Without these symbols, an event must be destroyed and recreated
> > to disable or enable it respectively. The maximum number of perf-events
> > is also made available to modules via the perf_get_max_events function.
> 
> Where is the module that uses all this?

It's part of the same patchset:

http://lists.infradead.org/pipermail/linux-arm-kernel/2010-March/011126.html

The idea is to use perf-events as the backend for OProfile to avoid replicating
the PMU accessor code.

Cheers,

Will