Subject: [PATCH V3 0/8] IOMMU probe deferral support

From: [email-masked] (Sricharan)
Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2016 09:11:01 +0530

Hi Robin,

>Hi Robin,
>
>>On 04/11/16 15:16, Sricharan wrote:
>>> Hi Robin,
>>>
>>>>>> Yikes, on second look, that definitely shouldn't be happening.
>>>>>> Everything below is probably the resulting fallout.
>>>>>
>>>>> [   40.206703] vfio-pci 0000:08:00.0: Failed to setup iommu ops
>>>>>
>>>>> I think the above print which says "failed to setup iommu_ops"
>>>>> because the call ops->add_device failed in of_pci_iommu_configure
>>>>> is the reason for the failure, in my case i simply do not get this even with
>>>>> your scripts. ops->add_device succeeds in the rebind as well. So still
>>>>> checking what could be happening in your case.
>>>>
>>>> I was looking at your code base from [1].The ops->add_device
>>>> callback from of_pci_iommu_configure on the rebind is the
>>>> one which is causing the failure. But not able to spot out
>>>>from code which point is causing the failure. It would be very helpful
>>>> if i can know which is the return value from the add_device callback
>>>> or point inside add_device callback which fails in your setup.
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> [1] git://linux-arm.org/linux-rm iommu/misc
>>>
>>> With little more try, i saw an issue where i had an failure
>>> similar to what you reported. The issue happens when multiple
>>> devices fall in to same group due to matching sids. I ended up
>>> doing a fix like below and it would be nice to verify if it is the same
>>> that we are seeing in your setup and if the fix makes a difference ?
>>>
>>> From: Sricharan R <[email-masked]>
>>> Date: Fri, 4 Nov 2016 20:28:49 +0530
>>> Subject: [PATCH] iommu/arm-smmu: Fix group's reference counting
>>>
>>> iommu_group_get_for_dev which gets called in the add_device
>>> callback, increases the reference count of the iommu_group,
>>> so we do an iommu_group_put after that. iommu_group_get_for_dev
>>> inturn calls device_group callback and in the case of arm-smmu
>>> we call generic_device_group/pci_device_group which takes
>>> care of increasing the group's reference. But when we return
>>> an already existing group(when multiple devices have same group)
>>> the reference is not incremented, resulting in issues when the
>>> remove_device callback for the devices is invoked.
>>> Fixing the same here.
>>
>>Bah, yes, this does look like my fault - after flip-flopping between
>>about 3 different ways to keep refcounts for the S2CR entries, none of
>>which would quite work, I ripped it all out but apparently still got
>>things wrong, oh well. Thanks for figuring it out.
> >
>>On the probe-deferral angle, whilst it's useful to have uncovered this
>>bug, I don't think we should actually be calling remove_device() from
>>DMA teardown. I think it's preferable from a user perspective if group
>>numbering remains stable, rather than changing depending on the order in
>>which they unbind/rebind VFIO drivers. I'm really keen to try and get
>>this in shape for 4.10, so I've taken the liberty of hacking up my own
>>branch (iommu/defer) based on v3 - would you mind taking a look at the
>>two "iommu/of:" commits to see what you think? (Ignore the PCI changes
>>to your later patches - that was an experiment which didn't really work out)
>
>Ok, will take a look at this now and respond more on this.
>
Sorry for the delayed response on this. I was OOO for the last few days.
So i tested this branch and it worked fine. I tested it with a pci device
for both normal and deferred probe cases.  The of/iommu patches
are the cleanup/preparation patches and it looks fine. One thing is without
calling the remove_device callback, the resources like (smes for exmaple)
and the group association of the device all remain allocated. That does not
feel correct, given that the associated device does not exist. So to
understand that, what happens with VFIO in this case which makes the
group renumbering/rebinding a problem ?

Regards,
 Sricharan