Subject: [PATCHv2] ARM: arch_timer: Silence debug preempt warnings

From: [email-masked] (Stephen Boyd)
Date: Fri, 5 Apr 2013 13:57:29 -0700

Hot-plugging with CONFIG_DEBUG_PREEMPT=y on a device with arm
architected timers causes a slew of "using smp_processor_id() in
preemptible" warnings:

  BUG: using smp_processor_id() in preemptible [00000000] code: sh/111
  caller is arch_timer_cpu_notify+0x14/0xc8

This happens because sometimes the cpu notifier,
arch_timer_cpu_notify(), is called in preemptible context and
other times in non-preemptible context but we use this_cpu_ptr()
to retrieve the clockevent in all cases. We're only going to
actually use the pointer in non-preemptible context though, so
push the this_cpu_ptr() access down into the cases to force the
checks to occur only in non-preemptible contexts.

Cc: Mark Rutland <[email-masked]>
Cc: Marc Zyngier <[email-masked]>
Signed-off-by: Stephen Boyd <[email-masked]>
---

Changes since v1:
 * Pushed down this_cpu_ptr and added a comment

 drivers/clocksource/arm_arch_timer.c | 10 ++++++----
 1 file changed, 6 insertions(+), 4 deletions(-)

diff --git a/drivers/clocksource/arm_arch_timer.c b/drivers/clocksource/arm_arch_timer.c
index d7ad425..a65a710 100644
--- a/drivers/clocksource/arm_arch_timer.c
+++ b/drivers/clocksource/arm_arch_timer.c
@@ -248,14 +248,16 @@ static void __cpuinit arch_timer_stop(struct clock_event_device *clk)
 static int __cpuinit arch_timer_cpu_notify(struct notifier_block *self,
 					   unsigned long action, void *hcpu)
 {
-	struct clock_event_device *evt = this_cpu_ptr(arch_timer_evt);
-
+	/*
+	 * Grab cpu pointer in each case to avoid spurious
+	 * preemptible warnings
+	 */
 	switch (action & ~CPU_TASKS_FROZEN) {
 	case CPU_STARTING:
-		arch_timer_setup(evt);
+		arch_timer_setup(this_cpu_ptr(arch_timer_evt));
 		break;
 	case CPU_DYING:
-		arch_timer_stop(evt);
+		arch_timer_stop(this_cpu_ptr(arch_timer_evt));
 		break;
 	}
 
-- 
The Qualcomm Innovation Center, Inc. is a member of the Code Aurora Forum,
hosted by The Linux Foundation