Subject: I/O issues with writing to mtdblock devices on kirkwood

From: [email-masked] (Ian Campbell)
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 2015 07:40:44 +0100

On Wed, 2015-10-21 at 22:22 +0100, Iain McFarlane wrote:

> >> 3.16 - No SATA errors when updating initrd - the kernel is flashed using
> >> dtb but how do I tell if it is used?
> [...]
> In which case it is using the board file
> 
> How do I force it to use the dtb?

If the DTB has been appended then it should Just Happen on reboot, I
think. I'm 99% certain that the 3.16 kernel in Jessie had the options
to enable DTB on this platform turned on. Specifically it should have
 CONFIG_ARCH_KIRKWOOD_DT=y.

You say "the kernel is flashed using the dtb", please could you post
the logs from flash-kernel to confirm this. And the dmesg from the
subsequent boot (whether board or DTB) would be useful too.

> On a different note anyone know why udev would not be running modprobe? 
> Every time I reboot this box I have to the reload any of the modules not
> specified in the initrd even things like mvmdio to get the network working.

I've no smart ideas, but you could maybe workaround by listing them in
/etc/modules?

Ian