Subject: ARM64: Disabling warnings about deprecated armv8 instructions

From: [email-masked] (Michael Zoran)
Date: Sun, 22 Jan 2017 06:02:40 -0800

On Sun, 2017-01-22 at 13:01 +0000, Ard Biesheuvel wrote:
> > On 22 Jan 2017, at 12:21, Michael Zoran <[email-masked]>
> > wrote:
> 
> > 2. Detect the binary type to detectermine if it should be silenced.
> 
> The controls are system wide, not per process. And I think the
> somewhat unconventional requirement to run a v6 compatible userland
> justifies adding a line to the boot script that simply disarms all
> the deprecation warnings.
> 

    It depends on the point of view of the arm architecture.  One point
of view if that if you have a new 64 bit application with access to
more feature, it has to be compiled with new instructions so no reason
to have the old around.  But if you have an old 32 bit application,
then it keeps working.

> Any political differences in the rpi project regarding support of the
> 64 bit kernel are not upstream's problem imo
> 

    I am in no way associated with the rpi project or the organization.
 I receive absolutely nothing from them and they are not supporting 64
bit at all other then as a hobbiest/experimental project.  

    I'm just a very interested enthusiast with a bit of time on my hand
now that finds 64 bit interesting. I found the idea of getting 32 bit
Raspbian to work as interesting.

> > 
> 
> I wonder why Mathematica cares about the personality. If it makes
> inferences about the architecture level to decide which instructions
> to use, it is clearly abusing the facility. Any clue?
> 

   No idea really.  It may have something to do with licensing
requirements since it's targeted for education. In the sake of not
stepping on any toes I have no intention of submitting any patches or
changes to the personality because of that.

  The personality issue is more an arm architcture issue and I am
quickly seeing is beyond the scope of what I'm trying to accomplish.