Subject: [PATCH linux dev-4.10 3/6] drivers/misc: Add driver for Aspeed PECI and generic PECI headers

From: [email-masked] (Benjamin Herrenschmidt)
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2018 20:02:53 +1100

On Wed, 2018-01-10 at 11:18 +0100, Greg KH wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 09, 2018 at 02:31:23PM -0800, Jae Hyun Yoo wrote:
> > This commit adds driver implementation for Aspeed PECI. Also adds
> > generic peci.h and peci_ioctl.h files to provide compatibility
> > to peci drivers that can be implemented later e.g. Nuvoton's BMC
> > SoC family.
> 
> We don't add code that could be used "sometime in the future".  Only
> include stuff that we use now.
> 
> Please fix up this series based on that and resubmit.  There should not
> be any need for any uapi file then, right?

No Greg, I think you misunderstood (unless I misread myself).

What Jae means is that since PECI is a standard and other drivers
implementing the same ioctl interface and messages will eventually go
upstream, instead of having the ioctl definitions in a driver specific
locations, they go in a generic spot, as they define a generic API for
all PECI drivers, including the one that's getting merged now.

IE. This doesn't add unused stuff, it just puts the API parts of it
into a generic location.

At least that's my understanding from a, granted cursory, look at the
patch.

That said, I do have a problem with the structure definitions of the
various packet types as they use "long" which has a variable size and
unclear alignment. It should be using __u8, __u16 and __u32...

Cheers,
Ben.